Sunday, November 16, 2008

EVALUATION -relating to brief specs and constraints

In the brief which Dr Tony House gave us it stated that we needed to make a self powered solar powered light which would be robust against outdoor conditions eg salt water, wind and rain . The light also had to turn on at night and off during the day. It also needed to not stand out in the environment.
My light is only 250mm high and 160mm by 160mm wide which should help it from being blown over in high winds, As asked in the brief
I have made the shell of the box out of aluminium as it will not rust with the salt spray and rain and would help to keep my budget down I have made the shell of my box very strong so even if it gets blown over in high winds it will be ok.
I have used LED cluster which will mean that Dr Tony House would not need to waste time putting in new light bulbs as the LED cluster will far out last most standard light bulbs. By using a LED cluster I have gone over my budget of $30 as the LED light was $26 and the big solar panel was $36 but by using this big solar panel it means that the light will recharge the battery even on dark winter days.
I have put the LED cluster inside the box as this will save it from the wind and rain. I have made the sides out of Perspex as it is all low cost and will be ok outside and its far stronger than glass which would get broken if the light was to blow over.
My light has gone over budget a lot but because of this my light is far better than it would have been. I have also sealed it with silicon to help keep out the salt water and rain.
 
 
Michael Ballinger 11dtm US 90050

1 comment:

Toto said...

Hi Michael, I'm a writing teacher from Victoria University and I've also been teaching at WHS this term. I've been reading your blog and your evaluation with great pleasure.

As I read, I was impressed by the thoughtful attention you paid to potential readers when you wrote your reflections. For example, as you go along week by week, you begin to develop your blogs into very effective paragraphs. Each one has its own particular topic and is packed with clear, useful, carefully detailed information and examples. This is very useful for anyone who might want to build an effective, robust, weatherproof outside light—or even for those, like me, who had never even thought about it.

As the reflections progress, you offer detailed accounts of your successes and how you solved difficulties. You also explain how much time and labour the project involved and how you integrated this commitment with your other interests like sailing.

Another effective feature of the reflections is that you take the trouble to include small personal touches, for instance, how you felt about origami and about having to blog all the time. In this way, you manage to locate the whole project in the life of a real person so that to the reader, the information never seems too dry or technical.